Monday, March 1, 2010

Oh Stan ...

I am sitting in front of two laptops: one without Microsoft programs (thank you strange Christmas travel glitch) and one (as of five minutes ago) with no Internet. I need to take screenshots of online applications (on the Internet) and insert them into a Power Point tutorial (Microsoft program). Its going to be a long night.

My trip to the hospital today went well all things considered. The staff in the laboratory told me that they normally work nights (when pregnant ladies rarely stop by) and so weren't sure of the gestational diabetes procedure. I knew there was an orange drink involved and they knew of a needle and together we settled on the most likely sequence of events. After this a blood transfusion emergency (not mine) meant waiting three and a half hours to have the Rhogam released from the hematology department.

The good holy-best-news-ever news?

When I was checking in for the first test the woman behind the desk asked (like it was no big deal) "Did you pick up your birth plan yet?

Me (thinking I must have heard her wrong) "My what"

Her "Your birth plan"

Me (trying not to spit coffee all over this very nice woman so early in the morning) "No. Thanks"

A few months ago I started researching birth plans online but hadn't taken the final product to my doctor yet. Part of me didn't want to look like a huge keener and part of me wasn't ready to be told that all of the things I wanted were completely out of the question.

My happiness at being handed the form was surpassed only by the tears-in-my-eyes happiness at reading it over. The hospital here endorses all of the little but so important things I hoped to ask for like alternative pain management, not being fastened to a rack of beeping-blinking machines, and having Frankie sleep in the same room as me when its all said and done. Go hospital!

Two other small things that created (possibly) disproportionate happiness today:

(1) Hearing this on the radio on the way home (and getting goosebumps):


(2) Coming across a link to this while trying to decide what to do about the dual laptop meltdown:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...