Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Mumma's Lament

Dear Frankie,

See those cute polka-dot pajamas you have on? Your da put them on you for the first time last night. While I was overwhelmed by just how adorable you can be, it was with the slightest twinge of sadness that I smothered you in kisses. Until now those pajamas have been in the “when you grow a bit” section of your dresser where we put everything that we once couldn’t imagine you fitting into.




I know we were just at the doctor and there was official confirmation of the effect of your voracious appetite, but these pajamas still took me by surprise. It’s like this year of your life is divided into a series of stages and we’ve just closed the door on the first one. Or maybe, given how your toes are now poking at the very end of your infant pajamas, this door closed a little while ago and I’ve just had my foot stuck in it. Either way I’m not sure I’m ready.

I constantly find myself anticipating the new experiences that lie ahead of the three of us – feeding you tastes of strawberry ice cream in the summer and teaching you how to make sloppy backyard mud pies in the spring – but I think this is the first time I’ve grasped how quickly time passes by when you’re a parent. If there is any possible way you could continue to grow up and stay exactly the same we would be much obliged.

So much love,
Your Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...