Monday, October 3, 2011

What We Know

Sweet peanut, 

We know a lot about gratitude. We know that grateful people are happier, less depressed, and more satisfied with their lives. We know that they sleep better, achieve more and are better able to handle and grow from the ups and downs that life deals out. And yet. Yet we struggle to find the time to reflect on the richness that is all around us all of the time. 

Before you were born I would try. I would say this week or this month or this year I am not going to lose sight of how lucky I am. And then school or work would become overwhelming and I'd be up late and up early and it would be a long long time before I even remembered that I'd forgotten to be grateful. 

Since you have come along though my life is filled with spontaneous moments of gratitude. As I watch you play in the afternoon or pick you up for a little snuggle or lay you down to sleep at night I often find myself overwhelmed by the incredible fortune in our life every single day. My heart fills with happiness knowing that there is a joyful bounce in your step, that you are the picture of health and that your days and nights are those of love and laughter.

Thank you little peanut for these unexpected reminders of how much we have to be thankful for. I hope that as you grow you will come to share in these quiet moments of appreciation and these feelings of abundance. They are good for the soul little peanut. Good for the soul.

With much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...