Monday, October 24, 2011

Vegan Before Six

We're trying something new this week. It's called vegan before six - no animals or things that come from animals until supper time. Pretty neat, no? We need to eat more vegetables, like a lot more vegetables than we do now. Last week I had graham crackers for lunch twice. And here's what I ate on Wednesday: peanut butter and jam on toast (breakfast), avocado and cheese on toast (lunch) and peanut butter and banana on toast (supper). Oh hi scurvy. 

So I give you this week's lunch menu:

Thai tofu and veggie rice wraps
Curried chick pea and quinoa wraps 
Black bean, avocado and tomatillo salsa wraps 
Scrambled tofu (like a vegetable omelette but with tofu instead of eggs) 
Apple cinnamon swirl pancakes
Avocado and tomato on toast 

Breakfast stays pretty much unchanged since it's impossible to tire of eating oatmeal every single day. I love that stuff. I tried it with almond milk this morning (and blueberries and cinnamon) and it was amazing. I still haven't sorted out the complexities of soy and since we'll be eating more soy than normal (tofu) I figured almond milk was the way to go for breakfast and coffee. 

I'm looking forward to the new dishes we'll be trying this week. Every so often I find myself (and by association the little bear) eating with no intention - the closest cooked thing (see: graham crackers) fills my belly when I'm hungry and busy. When the busyness persists so does the arms-reach eating. 

Here are a few fun vegan recipe sites if you're interested: Vegan Lunchbox, Fat Free Vegan Kitchen and Oh She Glows. And an article about the vegan before six notion.

P.S. Frances is only coming along for parts of this culinary adventure - the more veggies part. She loves milk, cheese and yogurt and we love that she loves them. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been adding oatmeal to my smoothie every morning since you posted that yummy recipe on Pinterest. I juice 1 carrot, 2 apples then add berries, plain yogurt and a banana to the blender and ta da - amazingness!
    N

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...