Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Need a New Place To Retire

Lurking behind all of the fall things that I’m happy to tout my love for (see here and here) is a more hush-hush thing-I-love-about-fall. I love knowing that there is a long period of family hibernation right around the corner. 

When the cool nights set in my thoughts turn to entire days spent indoors. Days spent peeking out white windows and feeling a little extra warmth in my belly knowing that I’m not venturing outside (in the wild wind and snow) once all day. They turn to evenings that grow dark at five o’clock and having nowhere to go and nothing to do but flip the radio and snuggle this sweet babe. 

It’s been an amazing spring and summer and our fall is shaping up to be much of the same. I have loved learning to sail and running and sitting on the balcony and walking to the park. Lately though I’m feeling pretty worn. Like all I want to do is flip on the radio and sit down and snuggle. And then go to bed with Frances at eight o’clock. Turning ninety-one next year. Must be. 

At the very same time, since I know that I’ll be among the first to yearn for spring come January I’m going to push hibernation to the back of my mind for just a few more weeks. And get outside and enjoy the things that I will think may never come again when we still have two feet of snow three months after Christmas (spring is so sloooow coming to this little island).Things like crunchy leaf walks and picking cranberries.

Can the change of seasons be your favourite season? I say yes.

I would make a terrible Floridian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...