Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Horn of Africa

Last night at ten I turned on the news. I guess I haven't turned it on (or clued in) for a few days because I wasn't expecting this. All of this heart-wrenching sadness.

Image
It was/is hard to reconcile as I sit and watch it unfold on my television in my bed in our house, knowing that Frances is asleep, warm and full, in the next room. Eating a bowl of granola like it is nothing, thinking about things that I want, while hundreds of thousands are desperate for food and water just to keep their babies alive.  

The commentator positioned it all against the US and European debt crises, speculating that these crises will make it much harder to raise the money needed to avert the worst of what's to come. Trillions spent fighting wars and saving arrogant banks. Great job guys. 

There is a good (though short) overview of the situation on CBC News World and UNICEF is a well-respected organization (very transparent about its intentions abroad) if you feel you're able to make a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...