Saturday, January 8, 2011

Live Action Baby

I'm pretty sure this little peanut is going to be crawling by the end of the weekend. Pretty sure. There have been a few semi-coordinated thrusts forward but so far they've all still ended in defeat: on her head or in her sky-diver pose (on her belly with arms and legs up in the air like the force of falling through the sky is pushing them that way). 

She's been moving backwards on her own for a month or so but this usually results in great frustration since she ends up further from the toy she set out to capture. A few times I've come back into the living room to see what is causing the upset and found her wedged under the couch. I probably shouldn't laugh but its always kinda funny at the time.

In advance of crawlapoloza we've begun baby proofing. If you ever want to feel like you live in a danger den read a baby proofing book. They're important and informative but are they ever anxiety-inducing. After accepting that wrapping Frank in bubble wrap for the next six months was not an effective approach I made a list of some of the things we'd need: outlet covers, cupboard clamps, non-slip bath matt and baby gates for starters. Our outlets are now covered and cupboards clamped. I almost killed myself on the non-slip bath matt this morning when it and I slid halfway across the tub so its going back. Who makes this crap stuff? 

We still have to pick out and install baby gates. We have two long hard staircases and I'd like to have a spare so that I can isolate the bug in the kitchen or bedroom with me. I've read that for staircases the gates that affix with screws to the walls are best. While the suction gates might be more convenient they won't always stop a determined toddler from busting through and then tumbling down. I've also read this:

Put a gate three steps up from the bottom so that baby can practice going up and down under safe conditions. Children who know how to go up and down stairs are much safer should they happen upon an unprotected stairway, which every child does now and then. 

And that's why they make baby books. So people like me can reflect in awe at their ever impressive yet simple genius.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...