Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rise and Shine

I have been eating the same breakfast everyday for four months. And every morning when I get up I can't wait to get it in my belly. I tried to think of another food I could eat everyday for a third of a year but couldn't. Except maybe for dark chocolate with orange pieces. 

This yummy morning monotony has evolved out of an attempt to cut out the waterfall of maple syrup I used to eat on my oatmeal. Here it is!

1/2 Cup Grains: 1/3 rolled oats, 1/3 rye flakes and 1/3 spelt flakes. I get all of these at our bulk store for a fraction of the cost of a bag of quaker at the grocery and then mix them together. Spelt flakes stay much chewier when cooked and give the final product lots of texture. Bonus: they have way more fiber and are much easier to digest than regular rolled oats (160 calories)

1/3 Cup of Soy Milk and 1/3 Cup of Water: pour over cereal and cook until absorbed. The soy milk is the caramilk secret of this recipe. Soy milk has all the nutrition of 2% but a quarter of the calories. Its creamy and has a slight nutty flavour too. I probably couldn't drink a glass of it on its own but I'll also never go back to anything else in my oatmeal, smoothies and coffee. I like my finished product on the chewy side - if you like it a little mushier up the soy milk and water (30 calories)

1 Banana - sliced on top of cooked cereal (75 calories)

1 Cup Frozen Berries - thawed and poured on top of cooked cereal (75 calories)

1 Tbsp of Cinnamon - mixed into cooked cereal (you can tone this done of course but it really helps to replace the maple syrup or sugar) (0 calories)

1 Tbsp of Flax Meal - for a boost of the omegas! I keep this in the freezer to keep it fresh and love that I don't have to grind it myself - such a tedious job - but you could just as easily use whole flax (40 calories)  


My other calling was not a food photographer but you get the idea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...