Friday, April 16, 2010

Working Nine to Five

These last nine months have passed in a series of events that have marked our moving closer to Frankie: end of first trimester, hearing baby's heartbeat for the first time, Christmas holidays, second trimester ultrasound, beginning of third trimester, and now this - the end of work. Well, the end of this work and the beginning of something entirely new.

It's hard to believe that this day is here. I have watched the calendar closely as two months became one and as one dissolved into weeks and days. I have made lists of the calls to be returned, the e-mails to be sent, and the reports to be filed. And now I am sitting here with a rapidly shrinking to-do list and less than five hours left in this most familiar office and most familiar chair. Today when I turn out the lights and lock the blue door it will be for the last time.

I think it will probably take a bit to set in. This weekend will be like the others and I'll wake up Saturday morning and mentally work through what has to be done in the office on Monday only to realize that I won't be there on Monday and someone else will.

As always, when staring down such a vast expanse of empty time (yes five weeks is vast), I feel a bit anxious. Fortunately I still have lists! Lists of things that have been put off over these last eight months when all I could think of doing at five o'clock was laying down and cuddling the test babies. Lists of things that I most especially haven't had the energy for in the last two months. Sewing tiny baby pants and knitting tiny baby blankets and reading books about how to make sure that tiny babies are well-nourished. Oh right and building myself a new Mac. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...